VOLUME Summer Program
Volunteer – Observe – Learn – Unify – Mentor – Explore
The VOLUME Summer Program at Bethany Children’s Health Center is a service-based, hands-on learning experience for high school students hoping to pursue careers in healthcare and allied health ( medicine, nursing, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, child life, social work, and so on).
Participants have the opportunity to work and interact one-on-one with the Hospital’s pediatric patients at bedside, in special education classrooms and at Hospital events. VOLUME also includes skill, character and team-building activities, educational presentations from multiple hospital staff and job shadowing opportunities to prepare for college, careers and life.
Participants can expect to build lasting friendships with their peers, experience interaction with multiple medical disciplines and gain exposure to a pediatric hospital setting.
See program requirements and more information below.
All sessions will be held at Bethany Children’s Health Center. Space for the VOLUME Summer Program is limited!
2023 VOLUME Students
Aaron Joseph – Piedmont
Amelia Kay Farris – Putnam City West
Celina Liu – Deer Creek
Coffey Collier – Bishop McGuinnes
Dion Mabhoti – Putnam City North
Ella Roach – Bethany
Emilia Mantilla-Ochoa – Casady
Erica Cline – Meeker
Fatima Ruiz – Putnam City West
Fatimah Rashid – Harding Charter Prep
Jaqueline Garcia – Putnam City West
Jocelyn Hoang – OSSM
Keianna Taheri – Yukon
Krishen Raju – Casady
Laynie Hutton – Casady
Leanne Eve Gitonga – Classen SAS at NE
Lillie Jordanov – Casady
Makayla Stewart – Mustang
Maria McCrea – Edmond North
Remi Burright – Edmond Memorial
Sabrina Smith – Classen SAS at NE
Sayah Wilson – US Grant
Tacoma Beckett – Yukon
Yaretzy Figueroa – Putnam City – Original
Yen Pham – Classen SAS at NE
“Bethany Children’s Health Center has taught me what it looks like to truly love your job, and what it looks like to take care of a child’s every need. I have learned that the Hospital is not like any ordinary hospital; the staff fully loves and takes care of every individual child and help the families as best they can.”
Rachel, VOLUME Class III
Student volunteers are utilized in various ways which align with their interests, knowledge and abilities. Volunteers are a vital part of our community, working toward fulfilling Bethany Children’s Health Center’s mission of maximizing the potential of patients with complex medical needs and disabilities. Our volunteers provide valuable services which contribute to the care, comfort and companionship needs of patients and families.
Bethany Children’s Health Center will provide all necessary training to all accepted volunteers to have a successful, meaningful and impactful experience. No medical experience or knowledge is required to be a part of our program!
2023 VOLUME Summer Program
Applications for the 2023 VOLUME Summer Program are closed at this time. Look for application information for the 2024 program beginning in late 2023.
VOLUME Summer Program Requirements
- Applicants must be enrolled in 11th or 12th grade during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Commit to attending all days within their scheduled session.
- Attendance is expected and only two absences are allowed.
- Thoroughly read and complete all necessary requirements for their application.
- Include one online recommendation with the application. The recommendation should be from someone who will quickly communicate with Bethany Children’s Health Center and speak to the applicant’s character, work ethic and ability to show compassion to others. Applications will not be considered complete until the recommendation is submitted.
- Appropriate recommenders include teachers, coaches, academic counselors, small group leaders, pastors, or those who have supervised the applicant in an employment, volunteer or leadership role.
- Inappropriate recommenders include family members, boyfriends/girlfriends or friends.
- All VOLUME Summer Program participants must provide documentation or proof of having received the following vaccinations:
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) received twice in lifetime
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) received twice in lifetime
- COVID-19 Fully vaccinated per CDC definition (Required unless a documented Medical or Religious Exemption is completed.)
- Tuberculosis Blood or Skin Test
- Vaccines and Tuberculosis tests can be provided at no-cost, if needed.
2023 Session Dates and Times
2023 Session (Class VIII)
- Begins Monday, June 5th through Thursday, June 22nd
- VOLUME participants will meet daily (Monday through Thursday) for three weeks.
- Each day of VOLUME begins at 8:15 am and ends by 12:00 pm.
- The first day of VOLUME (Monday, June 5th) is MANDATORY.
- Students should not apply if they cannot attend June 5th in its entirety.
- Due to the selective and highly competitive nature of VOLUME, applicants must commit to attending all days within their scheduled session.
- Attendance is expected and only two absences are allowed.
Benefits of the VOLUME Summer Program
Participants in the VOLUME Summer Program benefit from the following:
- The opportunity to interact with Hospital staff representing multiple medical disciplines who will discuss the educational and professional pathways necessary to reach their position, daily tasks within their discipline and other tips for VOLUME participants.
- The opportunity to interact one-on-one with pediatric patients.
- Peer-to-peer interaction and bonding with participants from schools located across the Central Oklahoma area.
- An intensive educational program which can give the participant a better understanding of their medical field of interest as well as exposure to new medical fields and disciplines.
- Curriculum centered around professional and personal skill development designed to prepare for future medical career fields.
“Bethany Children’s Health Center is such a sweet, joyful place and the VOLUME Summer Program is an incredibly eye-opening experience. The Hospital isn’t just a place where sick kids go…it’s a place where sick kids are given new opportunities, grow stronger, and ultimately learn to overcome their challenges! It is a place full of joy, laughter and LIFE!”
Avery, VOLUME Class V
Bethany Children’s Teen Leadership Board
High school students who have successfully completed the VOLUME Summer Program are eligible to serve on Bethany Children’s Teen Leadership Board. Designed to further connect members to the mission, vision and purpose of the hospital, board members identify and meet the needs of patients through service projects and group activities.
Meetings are held once per month, from September through April.