The Adapted Recreation & Fine Arts Complex is made up of the following spaces designed for children and teens of differing abilities.
Mattie Town enhances rehabilitation by allowing youth and their families to practice in specially designed, simulated environments they will encounter outside of the hospital. Whether it is practicing Activities of Daily Living in a realistic home setting, mastering different types of transfers, including climbing into or out of a bus and car, or learning to navigate or practice vocational skills in shops and restaurants, participants and their families can problem-solve and foster independence here. Mattie Town includes:
- Car and bus
- Sidewalks, patio, and other outdoor surfaces
- Café, retail store, and concession stand
Hydroworx Therapy Pool
Aquatic therapy sessions are personalized to improve a child’s strength, flexibility, balance and/or endurance in ways that cannot otherwise be accomplished in land-based therapy. The HydroWorx therapy pool is packed with high-performance features including:
- Adjustable Floor Depth
- Variable Speed Underwater Treadmill
- Underwater Cameras & Monitoring Systems
- Resistance Therapy Jet With Massage Hoses
For more information on Aquatic Therapy opportunities at Bethany Children’s, click here.
Children and teens with disabilities have the opportunity to participate in recreational activities, adapted PE and sports in spaces customized to meet their needs. From our all-accessible multipurpose baseball field with a state-of-the-art scoreboard system to our indoor recreation court created with safety and durability in mind, participants can explore a variety of activities in a fun and supportive environment.
- Miracle Stadium: Our outdoor stadium is equipped with artificial turf that provides a consistency and comfort for play. Dugouts with ample space and wide doorways provide ease in maneuvering on and off of the field.
- Indoor Court: Our indoor recreation half court offers opportunities to engage in organized sports, open play, and is often the location for many of our special events, like Prom. Our special flooring absorbs impact for increased safety and durability and our adjustable basketball goals accommodate a variety of ages and abilities.
Fine Arts Facilities
The fine arts spaces are well-equipped to encourage creativity, emotional expression, and self-esteem through drama, dance, and other fine arts activities. Participants are able to demonstrate new skills and abilities during recitals and productions held on our performance stage with top-of-the-line lights and sound equipment.
- Art Studio with a variety of mediums, supplies and assistive technology
- Dance Studio with floor-to-ceiling mirrors and ballet barres
- Performance Stage with professional grade curtains, lights and sound.
For more information on Bethany Children’s Health Center’s Adapted Recreation & Fine Arts Complex, please contact ARFAC@bethanychildrens.org.